Hormonal coil (IUS)
- Works for three or five years
- You don’t have to prepare for or interrupt sex
- You don’t have to remember to take a pill everyday
- If you have heavy or painful periods, the IUS can make your periods lighter, shorter, and sometimes less painful – they may stop completely
- Fertility will return to normal when the IUS is removed
- The IUS is not affected by other medicines.
The hormonal coil, also known as the IUS (intrauterine system) is a small T-shaped plastic device that sits in your womb and releases the progestogen hormone. It is long-acting and reversible, so you can take it out if you want to get pregnant.
It is the sixth most popular method of contraception in the UK, and is becoming more popular, particularly amongst women over 25.