- Works for up to 13 weeks (depending on type used)
- You don’t have to prepare for or interrupt sex
- You don’t have to remember to take a pill everyday
- Not affected by other medicines
- May provide some protection against cancer of the womb and pelvic inflammatory disease
- Suitable for women who can’t take oestrogen
- May help with premenstrual symptoms
- May reduce heavy or painful periods
- Fertility returns to normal after the injection wears off.
The contraceptive injection contains the hormone progestogen and offers medium term prevention of pregnancy. It is the fifth most popular method of contraception in the UK.
*for typical use (effectiveness for perfect use 99%)
**lighter over time (70% people won’t bleed at all by the end of the first year)