Non-hormonal coil (IUD)
- Works for 5 or 10 years (depending on type used)
- You don’t have to prepare for or interrupt sex
- You don’t have to remember to take a pill everyday
- Not affected by other medicines
- More effective form of emergency contraception than ‘morning after’ pill
- Your fertility returns to normal once the IUD is removed
- The IUD is a hormone free method.
The non-hormonal coil, also known as the IUD (intrauterine device) or ‘copper coil’, is a small T-shaped device that sits in your womb. It is long-acting but can be easily removed if you decide you want to become pregnant or use alternative contraception. It is also very effective emergency contraception. It is particularly popular amongst 20-34 year olds.
Thinking about the non-hormonal coil? Join the conversation.
Share your story, ask others or tag @Dr_Paula on our contraception forum ThePOW.